Wednesday 17 April 2013

Backpacker rant - 'What are you going to do with your life?'

A couple of years ago whilst i was in India, i had a heated discussion with my dad on the phone about your standard 'What are you going to do with your life?' bollocks, following this i got baked out my face and had a deep and meaningful sit down with my journal and put my anger on paper, and it went a little something like this.



Lake Star Guesthouse, Udaipur, India, 29/11/11

Pursuing a life with no goal? Or making the most of my time i have here while others pursue a financial time bomb where they can only enjoy themselves a few weeks a year.
Been thinking about this for over 2 years now and i have been asked by many friends, family and complete strangers "What are you going to do with your life?"

"Do"? Why does no one elaborate on that word?
I think what i have been doing for the past few years is a lot more than many people have 'done' in their whole life.
To 'do' something ultimately means that you achieve something at the end right? So if i 'do' laundry it is 'done' when it's clean...therefore if i work 9-5 my whole life and die like many with debts and regrets, well for sure my life is finished but not 'done' as i'm still living problematically on paper.

Many people's lives finish but aren't complete, and what has been achieved apart from death and an endless paper trail in one part of the world showing your life's ups and downs through bank statements! I'm sure you could map anyone's life through money, and isn't that very very sad?

I'd prefer to live for the moment and people not be able to trace my life through finances, but the people i've met and experiences i've had, pictures taken, songs sung, tattoos inked, scars made, tears cried and try my best to make an impact wherever i am.

As long as i'm happy and i feel i'm 'doing' something, i know that before i do die i can proudly say "yeah i got it done", and what did i get done?...As much as i fucking could while my heart was still beating.

No comments:

Post a Comment