Wednesday 29 January 2014

Trials and Tribulations of transport

It’s probably quite apparent that I love travelling; that feeling of butterflies in your stomach when you arrive at a new destination with wide eyes and a beaming smile ready to sink your teeth into a new time zone, culture or even city, for me personally the feeling is incomparable, 

                Though I must admit, sometimes the struggle of getting to the destination can be somewhat of a hassle with surprises at every turn; for example just the other week I was taking the boat, bus then train to Bangkok from Koh Phangan, firstly the boat resembled something from ‘The Perfect Storm’ with people puking at every wave, my bus then decided to break down in the middle of a highway leaving us sitting in the dirt for 2 hours, and finally my train which left on time ended up arriving in Bangkok 4 hours late…..typical ‘Thai Time’ where nothing really runs to its precise time.      That journey though was something of a dream compared to past events.

Back in 2009 when I first began my travels I recall being on a bus from Vientiane in Laos bound for Hanoi in Vietnam, this epic journey ended up taking us 36 hours on a rickety bus along dirt roads through the beautiful mountainous scenery of Laos.

About 20 hours in and after some questionable stops in urine drenched ‘toilets’ (if they could be called that) we pulled over at a small stall in front of a building, our driver exited the bus without saying a word to the 30/40 or so travellers seated in his vehicle, about 45 minutes past when everyone started getting impatient.

                We’d previously watched our driver walk into the building behind the stall and not return, following this we saw numerous other cars coming and going, their middle aged male drivers going inside and coming out after a short while; though not only did we see these gentlemen we saw a large number of girls exiting for a brief period having a smoke and walking back in……this wasn’t any normal building behind a stall, this was a brothel in the middle of nowhere where long distance drivers stopped to ‘relieve the stress’ of long haul journeys, so there we all sat for about 1 and a half hours while Mr Bus Driver got himself laid!

Though of course it’s not always the driver who prolongs the journey, I’ve also seen all out brawls take place in the walkway of a bus due to someone sitting in the incorrect seat, this occasion the gentleman who instigated the brawl was swiftly ejected from the bus face first into the dirt bloodied and bruised.    

                And of course the most damning of all is when you completely fuck up your own journey due to just the smallest of stupid decisions.

Early 2010 I was rounding off my 4 months in S.E Asia and travelling from Koh Phangan to Singapore, to then catch a flight to the land down under, it was an long journey consisting of a boat to the mainland, a bus to the border of Malaysia, then changing buses to travel down to Kuala Lumpur and then one last stretch to my final destination of Singapore where I’d rest my head for the night…..sounds simple enough right?...Wrong.

                Everything started to go wrong once I’d got off the boat, firstly our minibus broke down in the city of ‘Hat Yai’ a few hours from the Malaysian border, a back-up bus then turned up 3 hours later to take us across to Malaysia, after dropping myself and other frustrated backpackers off at the border we were then stranded in no man’s land without a hope in hell of making it down to KL, a few us put our heads together and pulled together some cash to pay ANOTHER minibus driver to take us to KL…..it was at this point I made the wrong decision.

                After the journey from hell to the border which should only take around 5 hours, which ended up taking about 12 I could safely say I had had enough and wanted to knock myself out for the rest of the journey to KL, so I necked a couple of Valium to doze off (Valium being an anti-anxiety drug and overall relaxant….fantastic stuff!)

                I thought to myself that 2 10mg pills just wouldn’t cut the mustard so I decided to dose myself up with another 3 just to ensure I’d be thoroughly in the land of nod.

I came round from a long blissful sleep to the sound of the driver talking through the speakers announcing;

“45 MINUTE, KUALA LUMPUR, 45 MINUTE”

My plan had worked! I had successfully knocked myself out for that leg of the journey, without waking once, I smiled an accomplished smile when I slowly came round to the realisation that I was sitting in something damp……if you are reading this thinking I had pissed myself, then you my friend would be wrong.

                The Valium apparently had worked better than I’d planned, not only was my mind in a complete state relaxation but also every muscle in my body, ultimately making me eject the entirety of my bowels into my £30 tailor made yoga pants from Hoi An in Vietnam.

Coming round to the realisation that I had completely shit myself at some point on the journey didn’t fill me with happiness I’m not going to lie, but the worse realisation was the fact I still had to sit there for 45 minutes in a puddle of my own faeces……the one and only word which came to mind was, shit!

So there I sat wallowing in my own self-pity and excrement for the rest of the journey to KL, once we’d stopped I swiftly wrapped a spare t-shirt around my waist to hide my shame and pelted for the toilet at the bus station where I ditched my clothes and cleaned myself up with wet wipes, now half ready for the next bus to Singapore.

I suppose the moral of the story is that; whilst travelling, shit happens……oh and maybe also don’t take 50mg of Valium at once.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment